Logrolling is a political strategy used by politicians in the United StatesCongress. Basically, politicians use a "you scratch my back, I'll scratch yours" mentality. Politicians include in a bill they are creating clauses that will be helpful to other politicians. So a representative from New Hampshire who wants a new complex of highways built with federal funds will include in his bill a clause to build a new roadway in Arizona. Politicians, especially from the House of Representatives, have to bring home proof to their constituents that they are benefitting them. So as they attempt to pass bills that will bring revenues or improvements to their state, they also have to bargain with other politicians. It is perhaps because of this reason that so much excess is wasted by the government.

Log"roll`ing, n.

1. Logging

The act or process of rolling logs from the place where they were felled to the stream which floats them to the sawmill or to market. In this labor neighboring camps of loggers combine to assist each other in turn.

Longfellow. [U.S.]

2.

Hence: A combining to assist another in consideration of receiving assistance in return; -- sometimes used of a disreputable mode of accomplishing political schemes or ends.

[Cant, U.S.]<-- "You scratch my back, I'll scratch yours." -->

 

© Webster 1913.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.