Mary is a name. It is the name of the Mother of God incarnate, Jesus Christ. She is revered not worshipped by the Catholic Church. Many Protestants both today and in the past have also revered Mary. Martin Luther is one of the most famous. There are many devotions to Mary, the major one being the Rosary. Mary is mentioned many times in the Bible and her coronation is alluded to in the book of Revelation.

A woman's given name.

Also used (generally fondly if from within the gay community) to refer to a male homosexual. In this context, less harsh than, say, faggot (which can be comparably offensive to the n word).

Third song on Boingo's self-titled album. "Mary" tells the story of a girl who left a conservative home to see the world, live life beyond the small town experience, etc. and one day returns to her home town only to find that her family and friends can't accept who she is now. She has returned home physically but never can mentally. The meaning behind this song can be applied to more situations behind just this story of Mary: Anyone who has left one place or set of people to experience new things and returned to find him/herself no longer accepted by his/her old companions will surely be able to identify with this song.

The music for "Mary" is made up of both Boingo's rock band setup and an orchestra. The orchestra, conducted by Steve Bartek (the band's lead guitarist), dominates "Mary," primarily with a sweeping violin riff that repeats through most of the song. The orchestra's volume rises and falls throughout the song, ideally bringing the listener's heart with it.

The song's words and music were both written by Danny Elfman and produced by Elfman, Steve Bartek, and John Avila. The song is six minutes and twenty eight seconds long.

Mar"y (?), n.

Marrow.

[Obs.]

Chaucer.

 

© Webster 1913.


Ma"ry (?), interj.

See Marry.

[Obs.]

Chaucer.

 

© Webster 1913.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.