Official Ballot Language:

A PROPOSAL TO AMEND THE CONSTITUTION TO REQUIRE A SUPER MAJORITY VOTE (2/3 VOTE) OF THE STATE LEGISLATURE TO ENACT CERTAIN LAWS AFFECTING LOCAL GOVERNMENTS

The proposed constitutional amendment would:

  1. Require a super majority vote (2/3 vote) of the State Legislature to enact any law which addresses a matter which a county, city, township, village or municipal authority could otherwise address under its governing powers or which places a condition on unrestricted aid extended local governments by the State. (Currently, a simple majority vote of legislature is required to enact such laws.)
  2. Retroactively apply the super majority vote requirement to any such law enacted on or after March 1, 2000.
  3. Exempt from the super majority vote requirement any such law which can be applied at the option of local governments.


Fricto's Unofficial Bit:

This is an attempt to reverse the trend against home rule municipalities that has plagued this state for some time now. This proposal should pass by a landslide if the citizens of Michigan have any respect for themselves and their ability to define their own lifestyles.

Michigan Voters - Michigan State Ballot Proposal 1 (November 2000)

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.