Continuing the intra-familial strife that characterised the Mughal Civil War of 1600-1605, the Mughal Civil War of 1607 involved a new generation.

This war may also be seen as symbolising the internal strife that characterised Mughal Emperor Jahangir's reign, a reign that was highly disruptive to the Mughal Empire, in a sense causing the empire to lose its sense of purpose and cohesiveness.

Jahangir, himself a rebellious son, had problems with his eldest son, Khusrau. Before Jahangir's accession, Khusrau and his followers had openly defied Jahangir. Although a brief reconciliation followed the death of Jahangir's father, Emperor Akbar, in 1605, the dispute between father and son continued, and Khusrau had to flee the court, in 1607.

Khusrau next gathered an unruly following, laying siege to Lahore in the hope of gaining a power base from which to pursue further ambitions. An imperial army, dispatched by Jahangir, defeated the rebels, and Khusrau was captured and returned to Lahore in chains. His captors treated him brutally and degradingly.

As an object lesson to other rebels, Jahangir ordered the executions of hundreds of rebels, in the most sadistic ways - including beheading and impalement. He also ordered the imprisonment of Sikh leaders who had helped Khusrau, thus gaining the permanent enmity of the Sikhs.

All of Khusrau's titles and privileges, and his rank as crown prince were transferred to his brother, Prince Khurram (later known as Shahjahan). Khusrau himself was kept a captive, in golden chains, for a year.

When he was finally released, Khusrau foolishly plotted to assassinate his father, and was discovered. In punishment, he was made partially blind, and was kept a prisoner at court until 1622, when he was strangled, at Khurram's order. By that time, Khurram, too, was involved in a revolt against his father (the war later known as Shahjahan's Revolt).

The brief, abortive efforts of Khusrau led to no direct consequences for the Mughal Empire, but they helped to cement the image of the royal family as being in complete disarray, and of Jahangir as a fatally weak monarch.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.