Saint Myrope was a young woman who lived on the island of Chios around 250 C.E., although whether she was native to the island or migrated from Ephesus is not certain. When St. Isidore was martyred on the island of Chios by the Roman navy, Myrope took it upon herself to recover his body from the cistern in which the soldiers had dumped it so that she could give it a proper Christian burial. With the help of a friend, whom some sources identify as a Roman soldier by the name of Ammianus, she waited until the soldiers guarding the body fell asleep. The two then stole the body out from under the soldiers' noses. When the next morning came, the officer who had presided over the death of Isidore, a fellow by the name of Numerius, found the body missing. He then threatened the body's guards with death if they failed to recover it.

When Myrope found out about the danger in which she had accidentally placed the soldiers, she very compassionately turned herself in to the officer Numerius. She refused to tell him who her accomplice was, however, and also kept the body's location a secret. Some sources say that her friend Ammianus was also martyred in spite of her refusal to name him, although no particular details are given.

Numerius then had her tied to a stake in the public square and flogged quite literally within an inch of her life. She was then imprisoned. While praying feverishly, she saw a vision of St. Isidore, who reassured her that her death was not to be in vain. She succumbed to her wounds shortly thereafter and her body is said to have given off a sweet smell after death, as is the custom with saints. Her friends were allowed to take the body for burial and they laid her beside Isidore, where a church was later built to commemorate both of them. Her relics were removed to the church of St. Mark in Venice in 1525, where they remain to this day. Her feastday is celebrated either December 2 or July 13, according to regional custom.

Sources: http://saintgeorge.org/news_and_events/church_calendar/saint_of_the_day/05may/may14.php3, http://www.catholic.org/saints/saints/myrope.html

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.