The NEC MultiSpins were a series of CD-ROM drives produced by NEC throughout the 1990s. They are notable because they were the Cadillacs of the CD-ROM world.

MultiSpins typically had illuminated LCD displays that would show you how fast the drive was reading from the disc, a numerical readout to show you what track from a music CD was playing, as well as very useful-if-rarely-seen error codes when something goes horribly wrong.

A few models even had a fancy rotating double door design to load the disc. You would turn the door down and it would stay open with a click so you could insert the CD Caddy, then pop back up automatically when the caddy got loaded. To eject he disc, just turn the door down again. Way over-complicated for just loading a CD, but it was cool! It almost (key word: *almost*) made up for having to deal with CD Caddies.

Back when these fancy drives came out, a typical plain CD-ROM reader would set you back a good $500, so throwing in these extra feeps was NEC's way of making it easier to drop that much on a drive. As manufacturing costs came down, CD-ROM drives lost all these fancy features to save money, but who the heck plays music CDs using the drive's DAC anymore these days?

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.