Ninja Rap is a rap song sung by hip hop artist Vanilla Ice in the 1991 film Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles II: The Secret of the Ooze.

In an interview, Ice recalled that he was approached to do a rap song for the film. When he asked what the song should be about, he was given a copy of the script and simply told to "make it ICE."

In the universe of the film, the Ninja Turtles' battle with the evil mutants Tokka and Rahzar spills into the club where rap superstar Vanilla Ice just happens to be performing. Supposedly, Ice then improvises Ninja Rap on the spot while the fight continues.

When the movie was being filmed in the fall of 1990, the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles was the hottest multi-media franchise in the universe, riding the wave of the a No. 1 smash hit kids cartoon, a kid-approved and (surprisingly) critically acclaimed 1990 film that Roger Ebert called "the best possible Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtle movie," and one of the most successful toy lines of the entire 1980s (right up there in the same stratosphere with Star Wars and G.I. Joe). Meanwhile, Vanilla Ice was the reigning king of the music world. His bland, inoffensive whiteness helped give his rap crossover appeal, and his monster 1990 mega-hit Ice Ice Baby, as the kids would say today, totally slapped, finding itself unironically on the tongues of almost everyone in America under 20 years old. Thus it seemed only natural to everyone involved that Ice would make an appearance in the most highly anticipated blockbuster film of the coming year.

This, however, was a massive mistake. After the staggering success of the first Ninja Turtles film, TMNT II bombed hard with critics and audiences alike for being too juvenile and slapstick-y, even as the failure of Ice's follow-up singles to gain any traction with the listening public meant that by 1991 his star was clearly already fading. Thus, both the film and Vanilla Ice's appearance within it contributed to the mutual failure of both. Neither Vanilla Ice nor the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles would ever recover. The TMNT toy/cartoon/movie franchise would limp on for a few more years and culminate in an even more poorly received third film installment in 1993, and Vanilla Ice would never really be heard from again; Ninja Rap, recorded at the absolute apex of his fame, turned out to be his swan song.


Lyrics

Yo! It's the green machine
Gonna rock the town without bein' seen
Have you ever seen a turtle get down?
Slammin' Jammin' to the new swing sound
Yeah, everybody let's move
Vanilla is here with the New Jack groove
Gonna rock, and roll this place
With the power of the Ninja Turtle bass
Iceman, ya know I'm not playin'- devastate the show while the turtles are sayin':

Ninja, Ninja, Rap! Ninja, Ninja, Rap!
Go Go Go Go!
Go Ninja, Go Ninja, Go; Go Ninja, Go ninja, Go!
Go Ninja, Go Ninja. Go; Go Ninja, Go ninja, Go!
Go Go Go Go!

Lyrics, fill in the gap
Drop that bass and get the Ninja Rap
Feel it, if you know what I mean
Give it up for those heroes in green
Just flowin, smooth with the power
Kickin' it up, hour after hour
Cause in this life there's only one winner
You better aim good so you can hit the center
In it to win it, with a team of four
Ninja Turtles that you gotta adore it's the:

Ninja, Ninja, Rap! Ninja, Ninja, Rap!
Go Go Go Go!
Go Ninja, Go Ninja, Go; Go Ninja, Go ninja, Go!
Go Ninja, Go Ninja. Go; Go Ninja, Go ninja, Go!
Go Go Go Go!

Villains, you better run and hide
Because one day you might not slide
Choose your weapon but don't slip
Vanilla's in control with the flex of the mic grip
Rockin' the crowd the way it should be rocked
With the Miami drop that you like a lot
Hittin' like a Ninja Turtle when the bass kicks in
You better check your level
The power of the Ninja is strong—fightin' all the crooks until they're all out cold.

Ninja, Ninja, Rap! Ninja, Ninja, Rap!
Go Go Go Go!
Go Ninja, Go Ninja, Go; Go Ninja, Go ninja, Go!
Go Ninja, Go Ninja. Go; Go Ninja, Go ninja, Go!
Go Go Go Go!

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.