The Otomanguean (also spelled Oto-Manguean) language superfamily (often called stock) includes about thirty major indigenous Latin American languages (and many more minor languages and dialects.) This family extends throughout Mexico and into Nicaragua. Like most Mesoamerican language families, the name Otomanguean comes from combining its northern-most language, Otomí with its southern-most language, Mangue.

Because this is a super-family, like Indo-European, there is a lot of variety within the languages, and generalizations are difficult. However, one interesting feature is that (almost?) all Otomanguean languages are tonal.

Most languages in this family are endangered, meaning that there are fewer children learning the languages than there are speakers of it dying, though there are still 261,000 speakers of Otomanguean languages. Many of the languages are moribund, where children are not learning the language and the language will likely be dead within another generation or two. Field linguists are working to preserve these languages, while it is still possible.

The major Otomanguean families are:

References:
Summer Institute of Linguistics. http://www.sil.org/mexico/24i-Population.htm
The Archive of the Indigenous Languages of Latin America. http://www.ailla.utexas.org/site/la_langs.html

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.