Pansit is a traditional Filipino noodle dish with many variations, which are mostly region-based. The main commonality is the use of noodles and a base sauce. Noodles are either egg or rice-based. The most common sauces are based on soy, fish, or shrimp.

The variant I am most familiar with is Pansit Malabon, which is popular in the region of the same name. It is where my father grew up, and where I stay when I visit the Philippines. It is usually served for festive occasions, such as New Year's. It uses somewhat thick rice noodles (boiled) and shrimp juice. Fried shrimps (shelled) are added, as well as slices of hard-boiled egg, and crushed chicharon (fried pork rinds) are sprinkled on top. There are other ingredients, such as garlic and onion, as well. This is usually served hot on a bedding of banana leaves in a round dish made of dried banana leaves. It is served with kalamansi (a citrus fruit similar to limes) which you may then juice and sprinkle on top. Eat it up, 'cause this spoils rather quickly!

I've seen variants of Pansit Malabon call for other ingredients. Other variants of pansit involve pork strips instead of shrimp, are done casserole-style, fry the noodles, and/or wrap the noodles in wonton.

There is a local Filipino caterer that makes this, but the domestic (United States) ingredients just aren't the same. We can get pretty much everything from the Asian food store, but some things just can't be replicated.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.