Placenta previa is a condition where the placenta partially or totally covers the cervix, which means that natural birth is not possible and caesarian section is necessitated.

This coverage is graded from 1 to 4, where 1 represents a very low lying placenta and 4 represents total coverage of the cervix by the placenta.

As well as the grading of the placenta, it is also said to be lying in anterior or posterior position (anterior lying placentas are considerably more risky when the time comes for sectioning).

Once this condition is detected it has to be monitored carefully through out the remaining gestation period of the pregnant mother-to-be, this is because it can result in a hemmorhage. However, those women that have grade 3, or grade 4 placenta previa are likely to experience blood loss by the second or third trimester, and for this reason are usually admitted into hospital until the birth.

Once in hospital, injections are administred to the behind which is given to strengthen the baby's lungs, just incase he/she wants to see the world sooner than is expected.

Finally, if there is someone out there that has placenta previa and is reading this, then my message to you is - It's scary, but don't worry... I had grade 4 anterior placenta previa and it all works out in the end!

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.