Serves 2, as an appetizer or small meal/snack.

    Butter (about two tablespoons)
    A teaspoon of salt, a teaspoon of sugar, a sprinkle of pepper
    Pesto, about 2 or 3 heaping tablespoons

These are mushrooms sauteed in a pan, with pesto and cheese added, then placed under a broiler for a couple minutes. If you like using a grill, this might be done using a covered grill, but the mushrooms probably won't be quite as juicy.

Find a frying pan large enough to hold the mushrooms. Prepare the mushrooms by pulling the stems and rinsing the caps under tap water. Put a couple tablespoons of butter in the pan and get it up to medium high heat (the butter should just start to sizzle, not burn). Next, place the mushrooms, flukes side down, into the pan. Put the kettle on, with a couple cups of water, which can be added when the pan starts to dry. After the mushrooms have gone about two minutes, flip them over. Then, sprinkle a little sea salt, some pepper and one teaspoon of sugar on the mushrooms. Add a little boiling water, and reduce the heat. After another two or three minutes flip the mushrooms again and wait another couple minutes. Add a little hot water when the pan starts to get dry, and flip the mushrooms once more, cap side down.

Next, start the broiler. Put a tablespoon or so of pesto in the center of each mushroom cap, then sprinkle a couple tablespoons of grated cheese on top of that. Place the pan under the broiler for about 2 minutes. Plates can be warmed in the bottom of the oven for a minute or two. Serve the mushrooms on the warm plates. If you added water to the pan, there will probably be some buttery mushroom sauce left in the pan, so dribble that on top of the mushrooms.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.