A statement, also known as an Axiom, which is taken to be true without Proof. Postulates are the basic structure from which Lemmas and Theorems are derived. The whole of Euclidean Geometry, for example, is based on five postulates known as Euclid's Postulates.

Pos"tu*late (?), n. [L. postulatum a demand, request, prop. p. p. of postulare to demand, prob. a dim. of poscere to demand, prob. for porcscere; akin to G. forschen to search, investigate, Skr. prach to ask, and L. precari to pray: cf. F. postulat. See Pray.]

1.

Something demanded or asserted; especially, a position or supposition assumed without proof, or one which is considered as self-evident; a truth to which assent may be demanded or challenged, without argument or evidence.

2. Geom.

The enunciation of a self-evident problem, in distinction from an axiom, which is the enunciation of a self-evident theorem.

The distinction between a postulate and an axiom lies in this, -- that the latter is admitted to be self-evident, while the former may be agreed upon between two reasoners, and admitted by both, but not as proposition which it would be impossible to deny. Eng. Cyc.

 

© Webster 1913.


Pos"tu*late, a.

Postulated.

[Obs.]

Hudibras.

 

© Webster 1913.


Pos"tu*late (?), v. t. [imp. & p. p. Postulated (?); p. pr. & vb. n. Postulating.]

1.

To beg, or assume without proof; as, to postulate conclusions.

2.

To take without express consent; to assume.

The Byzantine emperors appear to have . . . postulated a sort of paramount supremacy over this nation. W. Tooke.

3.

To invite earnestly; to solicit.

[Obs.]

Bp. Burnet.

 

© Webster 1913.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.