A shoot'em up for Commodore 64, developed by Anabasis Investment and released by Ocean in 1986. Obviously, based on the movie with same name (which I haven't seen so I can't comment on it)...

You are John Rambo, a highly trained jungle fighter whose instructions are to gain entry to a P.O.W. (Prisoners of War) camp and photograph evidence of American war prisoners - but having found them will your conscience let you walk away?

(From the manual)

The game is considered to be one of the greatest action games on Commodore 64, and is definitely an action-packed experience (not really as much so as Commando in my opinion, though).

The game is a top-down action game. You're Rambo. You're supposed to only photograph the POW camp, but, of course, that order is too hard to follow in those circumstances - so, you shoot those evil enemy soldiers with all sorts of brutal implements of destruction (knife, bow and (possibly explosive) arrows, grenades, rocket launcher and machine gun) and do all sorts of heroic things while at it. You can walk or use other means of transportation (I've seen screenshots with a helicopter, never been that far). The game area is believed to be 1 million square feet.

The graphics of the game are not really that great on C64 scale, especially compared to the later games. The game is almost as ugly as Commando. The only good graphics can be found from the loader screen (version of the cover picture). Of course, the graphics definitely do their job and are recognizable enough.

The sound side is pretty good though. The first thing that catches attention is Martin Galway's excellent loading tune. I dare to say a legendary loading tune - it starts with a morse code that spells the names of the game makers (In order: Bill Barna, David Collier, Martin Galway, Tony Pomfret, Steve Wahid - note that i's are replaced with e's, this was probably a bug). I definitely recommend to find Matt Furniss' rearrangement called "Rambo '98" - that thing just rocks.

The controls are easy enough. Space bar changes weapon, fire button fires, run/stop pauses, s toggles between music and sound effects.

The game was released on cassette and disk.

(Sources: c64gg.com, STIL, and Project 64 etext version of the game manual)

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.