Rosé 2003 "Midi" Syrah Armissan, (Languedoc) FR

This absolutely lovely Summer wine from the south of France blew our minds. The good news is, as of this writing there's some left on the market to acquire.

"What I learned is that there is a lot of good quality wine coming out of the Languedoc region and none of it was reaching the U.S."

— Sarah Close.

Indeed, whether red, white or the famous roses, Languedoc's fruit of the vine will some day become popularized. That'll be the day, sadly, that prices soar so the earlier one studies and shops for a couple of cases to lay down, the better you'll do in the long run.

The incredible couple, Susan and Peter Close, Brits by birth; transplanted to New Orleans, Louisiana and now basking in the singular, well soleil of France. Along with some of the most forgotten, yet fabulous wines coming out of the Languedoc region; (blush and white wines their specialty) also comes some of France's most delightful fruits de mer. The combination of seafood and serious, dry Languedocois beverage is one of the finest in the world (and one of many epicure/traveler's best kept secrets).
 

The Wine

Years ago, Mr. and Mrs. Close's start-up was most certainly enduring a loss (the Capital expenditure on the land alone was $US2.2 Million). However, the winemakers had every reason to believe that their investment would yield a profit..

And profit they did. Their first bottling, the '93 Syrah (along with a few much smaller quantities of wines available exclusively at the winery) is superb and sold briskly.

The warm, soft-spoken couple have the passion necessary to turn out great wine. That's more than I can say for certain U.S. vintners who merely like to see their name on the bottle.

The '03 vintage rose made entirely from Syrah grapes was dry yet layered with complex fruit flavors. Mind you, we tried the wine in Summer, 2008 three years from its release to the U.S. market.

This is a superb fish wine; goes well with shellfish in particular, and was delightful with escargot on another trying. A caution to lovers of astringently dry wines; some palates may mistake the rich fruit flavors of this wine for sweetness, particularly if eaten with any kind of vinaigrette-containing dish.

SOURCES:

Snooth.com (oenophile's website): http://www.snooth.com/wine/susan-peter-close-and-syrah-vin-de-pays-doc-midi-2003/

The writer's personal experience with the wine.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.