Saline solution containing 0.9% sodium chloride is isotonic and makes a very good antiseptic. You need to add roughly 1 tsp of salt to ½ litre of cooled, boiled water; it is best used when tepid.

Salted water (saline) is highly recommended for washing wounds, flushing out nasal cavities (this has been used in Yoga for centuries and is said to help in the treatment of asthma and sinusitis), and as an eye wash.

A handful of salt added to a bath used to be the suggested treatment for bathing leg ulcers, post-operative wounds and after childbirth. Unfortunately many hospitals seem to have forgotten this in favour of expensive, and possibly harmful, antibiotic salves and lotions.

Sa"line [F. salin, fr. L. sal salt: cf. L. salinae salt works, salinum saltcellar. See Salt.]

1.

Consisting of salt, or containing salt; as, saline particles; saline substances; a saline cathartic.

2.

Of the quality of salt; salty; as, a saline taste.

 

© Webster 1913.


Sa"line [Cf. F. saline. See Saline, a.]

A salt spring; a place where salt water is collected in the earth.

 

© Webster 1913.


Sal"ine (?), n.

1. Chem.

A crude potash obtained from beet-root residues and other similar sources.

[Written also salin.]

2. Med. Chem.

A metallic salt; esp., a salt of potassium, sodium, lithium, or magnesium, used in medicine.

<-- 3. (Med., Biochemistry) A saline solution, esp. normal saline, or isotonic saline, used for infusion, to maintain blood pressure. -->

 

© Webster 1913.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.