Information Security has 6 basic principles:
Authentication
Authorization
Integrity
Privacy
Non-Repudiation
Auditing

The combination of these prinicples is done based on the sensitivity of what you are protecting, and the impact it will have on usage. see also:cracker
(Financial Term)
A security is a type of investment instrument.

A precise, legal definition for the term "security" from the Securities Act of 1933, Section 2(a)(1) is as follows:

The term "security" means any note, stock, treasury stock, bond, debenture, evidence of indebtedness, certificate of interest or participation in any profit-sharing agreement, collateral-trust certificate, preorganization certificate or subscription, transferable share, investment contract, voting-trust certificate, certificate of deposit for a security, fractional undivided interest in oil, gas, or other mineral rights, any put, call, straddle, option, or privilege on any security, certificate of deposit, or group or index of securities (including any interest therein or based on the value thereof), or any put, call, straddle, option, or privilege entered into on a national securities exchange relating to foreign currency, or, in general, any interest or instrument commonly known as a "security", or any certificate of interest or participation in, temporary or interim certificate for, receipt for, guarantee of, or warrant or right to subscribe to or purchase, any of the foregoing.

Se*cu"ri*ty (?), n.; pl. Securities (#). [L. securitas: cf. F. s'ecurit'e. See Secure, and cf. Surety.]

1.

The condition or quality of being secure; secureness.

Specifically: (a)

Freedom from apprehension, anxiety, or care; confidence of power of safety; hence, assurance; certainty.

His trembling hand had lost the ease, Which marks security to please. Sir W. Scott.

(b)

Hence, carelessness; negligence; heedlessness

.

He means, my lord, that we are too remiss, Whilst Bolingbroke, through our security, Grows strong and great in substance and in power. Shak.

(c)

Freedom from risk; safety

.

Give up yourself merely to chance and hazard, From firm security. Shak.

Some . . . alleged that we should have no security for our trade. Swift.

2.

That which secures or makes safe; protection; guard; defense.

Specifically: (a)

Something given, deposited, or pledged, to make certain the fulfillment of an obligation, the performance of a contract, the payment of a debt, or the like; surety; pledge.

Those who lent him money lent it on no security but his bare word. Macaulay.

(b)

One who becomes surety for another, or engages himself for the performance of another's obligation

.

3.

An evidence of debt or of property, as a bond, a certificate of stock, etc.; as, government securities.

Syn. -- Protection; defense; guard; shelter; safety; certainty; ease; assurance; carelessness; confidence; surety; pledge; bail.

 

© Webster 1913.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.