Most social work is a slog of soup kitchens, answering phones, and pushing paper, but occasionally you find an interesting case that you get all to yourself because everyone else ran screaming. Which are the best kind.

Warning: medical trauma

I wouldn't have been in my office except that one of my tougher cases, an illiterate registered sex offender with multiple felonies for aggravated assault, needed my phone to complete a disability interview. Nice guy, who would prove to be even nicer when things got ugly.

Because the light was on, strangers came knocking for food, the last being Mister K, underfed as the rest except for one thing---he was mute.

"Come inside." I said, pointing to a chair, "Can I help?" 

Limping across the room, he gestured for a pen and scribbled HOUSING in block letters.

My disability client turned. “I know him. He had a stroke.”

"What's up with your leg?" I asked.

He tapped the paper. "I understand you want housing, but technically the office is closed and I'm more concerned about your limp."

He peeled a sodden bandage onto the desk. The Stink is something you don't learn in a classroom, that you need to experience in close quarters. There is no better attrition for a freshman BSW class than making them sit on a crowded Greyhound at 3am with forty men who purposely smear shit on their clothes to ward off predators.  When the stink hit, the case manager three feet away covered her face and side-eyed me like 'did you HAVE to look'.

My disability client looked up and said, "Man you gotta show her, it's only gonna get worse."

"What happened to him?" I asked.

"He got shot. A month ago. And won't go to the hospital because he's got a warrant."

I have zero first aid training, unless you count minor grease burns working at the Waffle House in high school. Digging out a first aid kit and some donated Halloween skeleton gloves, I knelt and asked, "Mister K, can you roll up your pant leg?"

The other case worker, hand still firmly clamped over her face, called the street medicine team to see if anyone was in the area for house calls.

It looked like a dog had bitten a chunk out of him, a hole the size of two Ghirardelli chocolate squares stacked on top of each other surrounded by infected flesh that was painful to the lightest touch, all the way to the knee.

"You're gonna lose this leg," I said, gently swabbing the area, "I'm impressed you don't have maggots, sleeping on the ground like this. But yeah, the infection will only get worse."

A third case worker walked in at this time and chimed, "Not just the leg buddy! You'll lose your hip, your eye, just you wait!" and exited the other side with a cackle like a playground kid shouting NOT IT.

Cleaning the wound, I had a couple of glorious minutes to figure out next steps.

-He still had on an old wristband that had his name and date of birth, which meant I could look him up in the database to see if there were any scans of his driver's license (surprise, it was, along with a social security and ID belonging to a completely different person).

-He claimed to have Medicaid and SSDI, which meant, if I could get overnight at the indigent hospital, he might be fucked up enough to qualify for a recuperative care bed.  Calls to various care providers confirmed that the best thing for him was to appear at the nurse's station with a sign reading SEPTIC, INSURED, THE QUIET TYPE.

-A little research confirmed he was a registered sex offender, which wouldn't be a barrier for the medical stuff but would play differently for housing down the line.

During this time, my disability client continued to bully Mister K with stories of friends dying sick in every horrible way imaginable (rotten teeth ranking high, since the infection can travel down and seal up your airways), and we were beyond what Neosporin and whiskey could accomplish.

Peeling off my Jack Skellington gloves, I said, "I'm going to type a letter of introduction for you to show the nurses. Maybe you were doing something you shouldn't have when you were shot, but they don't know that. I'll put that you're mute due to a stroke, can write simple words, have insurance and income, and are at risk of sepsis. I'll drive you to the hospital, and if you feel like that's not your scene, I'll toss in a bag of Chef Boyardee and a bus pass."

Thankfully, he agreed. Three days later he was out and had the strength to land a piece of cake at the back of my head, so he must be feeling better.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.