It is true that there is nothing like a blaze in the hearth to soothe the nerves and restore order to a house. All was well. He loved Big Brother. Oedipa settled back to await the crying of lot 49. Her same eyes, her same mouth, open in surprise to see, at last, her long-cherished wish.

"No got… C'lom Fliday. It is a far, far better thing that I do, than I have ever done; it is a far, far better rest that I go to than I have ever known. There are people from the future and people who can fly and people who can't die--"

"Shut up, Bobby Lee," The Misfit said. "It's no real pleasure in life."

"Yes," I said. "Isn't it pretty to think so?"

"We look forward to getting you back. The universe is even older, and even harsher, than anything we have on Earth, and yet there's beauty as well."

Now everybody. He was soon borne away by the waves and lost in darkness and distance. And this is the only immortality you and I may share, my Lolita. It was the devious-cruising Rachel, that in her retracing search after her missing children, only found another orphan. So we beat on, boats against the current, borne back ceaselessly into the past. Sometimes we just have to get on with our lives, which is what I intend to do.

The End


Last Chapter of a Novel: An Everything Quest

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.