"I think mom died yesterday. They're telling me different things."

"Already? I thought things were still pretty stable."

"Maybe they took a sudden turn. I don't know. You need to call them."

"Yes, you're right."

***

"Hello?"

"Yes, I'm the son of Elizabeth Meisch. Can you tell me her condition?"

"I'm sorry sir, I'm afraid she has passed."

"When did this happen?"

"Two days ago I believe."

"Why wasn't I notified?"

"I don't know the answer to that I'm afraid. I'll go obtain that information."

"No, it's okay. That's not important."

"What would you like us to do now?"

"I need to get her affairs in order. Sorry I can't think right now. I'll call you back."

"We'll be waiting sir."

***

"Hello, it's me."

"What did you find out?"

"Nothing important. What do you think we should do?"

"I think we need to fly down there."

"How long do you think we'll be gone? I've got work."

"I don't know, weeks at--"

"But I've got--"

"Bob, you can't be thinking about work right now."

"I've got deadlines coming--"

"Bob! Work can wait. They'll understand. Make them understand."

"If I fall behind--"

"Bob! I can't believe you're saying this. This is mom we're talking about."

"But can't it wait? I've got things to take--"

"God, Bob, I can't believe you're doing this again."

She'd hung up. I walked back to my laptop and picked it up. No, I needed to rest.

"doesn't mean that much to me to mean that much to you"

 

Why aren't you going out? Why would you want to stay in and watch a movie? Why wouldn't you want to come out with us? Why don't you want to go do something? Why would you want to just stay cooped up all the time? Why wouldn't you want to go exercise in a public space? Why wouldn't you want the chance to meet someone new? Why are you so dependent on your friends? Why don't you follow through on things? Why won't you go to the wedding? Why won't you put down the phone? Why don't you get up and do something about it?

 

"it can't just be nothing
there must be some reason you act so sore
when we're having a good time
"

 

Why isn't this important to you? Why are we not in agreement? Why can't you see how much easier and better everything would be if you would just behave like a normal person? We're going. Aren't you coming with us?

 

"Alright. Let's go. I'm not trying to be mean. Neither are you, I'm sure."

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.