Back to Serial Experiments Lain

Taro is a kid that Lain meets at Cyberia who knows quite a bit about the Wired and computer technology. He has seen both "Lain in the Wired" and Iwakura Lain and believes that they are two sides of the same person (he's wrong, they are not). He is Myu-Myu's boyfriend (they both look rather young, which makes it all a bit odd to think about), who hangs out with him at Cyberia.

Spoiler Alert!
Taro is an otaku and is also associated with Knights, though not a full member as he tells Lain later on. Since he is not a full member, he does not suffer the same flaw as the Knights do: he does not fully believe in Deus's godhood and thus he does not fully allow Eiri to manipulate him into doing his bidding.

A food crop primarily used in tropical southeast Asia and Polynesia. The scientific name of the edible species of taro is Colocasia esculenta; other common names include dasheen, gabi, cocoyam, and eddoe (sometimes written eddo or edda). It is a member of the Araceae family, which also contains the yautia. The most important use of taro is the harvest of its edible root (the corm), although its leaves are also edible. It is used as an ornamental plant in American and the UK.

Taro originated in southeast Asia, diffusing through India and the Pacific Islands (including Hawaii, where it is used to make poi). It was introduced into the Mediterranean during the time of the ancient Greeks, spreading southward into Africa. It has now spread to the west Indies and tropical America.

Taro is an important source of starch in many parts of the world. The root is about 20% starch (comparable to potatoes), and the starch granules are very small, aiding in digestion (estimated to be 98.8 digestibility). On the down side, taro contains more calcium oxalate (an irritant) than yautias, making them less preferred in many cases. Cooking or fermenting the taro will break down the calcium oxalate. Taro may be the most important root crop worldwide (in that is the primary food crop for many populations). Taro is best grown in wet, shaded areas, and are usually grown as an intercrop. It can be grown year-round in tropical climates, and the time of planting can be 'staggered' so that the pants will produce mature roots continuously throughout the year (it takes 14 to 18 month for a plant to come to maturity). The roots are a good source of carbohydrates, potassium, and provide some vitamins, particularly of the vitamin B complex, and protein. The leaves are comparable in nutritional value with spinach.

In the United States taro is used for baby food and baby formulae; it can be digested easily, even by people who are sensitive to cow milk.

Beside Colocasia esculenta, there are many other species of taro. These are primarily notable for their use as ornamental plants. Taro has large leaves, shaped like rounded arrowheads, supported by thick stalks. Most ornamental taro is grown in shallow water. While taro do have flowers, the plant and leaves are the main draw. Taro flowers are small, white or yellow (there may be other colours, but I haven't seen them), with rounded petals.


http://www.siu.edu/~ebl/leaflets/taro.htm is a good site.
http://www.grassrootsnursery.com/acatalog/Grass_Roots_Nursery_Taro__Colocasia_sp__4.html has pictures of ornamental taro.
I also used Plants For Man by Robert W. Schery (1972) for reference.

Tarô is one of the most common Japanese given names for males. It is rather like the English name "John" in it's ubiquity and in the way it is used as a kind of generic placeholder name for an unnamed male, much like English-speakers might refer to a "John Doe" or "every Tom, Dick, and Harry."

There are 13 ways to write the name "Tarô" using Japanese Kanji, each with its own meaning:

太郎 – “sturdy son”
太朗 – “great cheer”
多朗 – “much cheer”
多郎 – “too many sons”
太楼 – “mighty watchtower”
太良 – “great goodness”
大郎 – “big son”
田老 – “rice field old man”
大漏 – “big emission”
太漏 – “vast emission”
汰郎 – “chosen son”
多良 – “much goodness”
駄郎 – “burdensome son”

By far the most common way is the first, 太郎, or "sturdy son" - something many parents hope their child will be. Indeed, if someone's name is "Tarô," most people will assume this is how it is written unless told otherwise. But the other names pop up from time to time - usually one of the other positive meanings is chosen, but Japanese parents can be much more playful with their children's names. An unwanted child might be named "too many sons" or even "burdensome child", while a particularly large baby might earn the name "big son" or "vast emission."

Tarô is also often found, especially in the "sturdy son" sense, as part of a longer male name, as in Kôtarô "sturdy son named Kô", or Tarôichi, "first sturdy son".

Of course, one can also always use hiragana (たろう) or katakana (タロウ) as well!


Back to Japanese Names

So I'm having the world's shittiest day, sitting here trying to learn how to configure class-of-service on a Juniper box. It's frustrating so I just end up alt-tabbing around to other, more pressing matters than my professional future, such as advice-animals on Reddit and song lyrics.

This song, Taro by Alt-J, has been playing at work almost every day now, so I figured, might as well check what this indecipherable English fellow is on about. I didn't get my hopes up: the last time I googled their other hit song Fitzpleasure and found out that it's merely unintelligible Gibberish. But 'Taro', surprisingly enough, is a really good historical drama, boiled to one 15 minute bloodletting scene from the battlefield of the Indochina war. A love story of two artists, reunited in their almost identical deaths, 17 years apart.


***

Eastern Europe. The year is 1933. Endre Friedmann, an aspiring Jewish-Hungarian photographer leaves his home and moves to Paris. He meets a German girl, the lovely Gerta Pohorylle, also of Jewish descent and with a burning passion for photojournalism. Their paths cross, they're heading in the same general direction and they fall madly in love with one another, trying to make it in a strange big city. But he has a very Jewish-sounding last name which is not great for marketing; and she - well, there was no such thing as women photographers back then. So they come up with a fictitious character - "the great American photographer Robert Capa", under which name both of them sell their photos as freelances. Later, Friedmann assumes Capa's identity. Gerda Pohorylle goes by the name Gerda Taro. He calls her 'the little blonde'. They plan on getting married.

They travel far and wide and their cameras capture a few of the greatest historical events of last century. Their work becomes renowned all over the world, they befriend movie stars and famous novelists. Taro covers the war in spain. Capa escorts American troops near Sicily. Capa accompanies John Steinbeck ('Grapes of Wrath'), taking photos of the ruins of Stalingrad. Russia, Israel, Omaha Beach, you name it, they're there. Capa used to say, "if your photos are not good enough, you're not close enough".

***

1937. The Battle of Brunete, a few miles west of Madrid. Taro hops on a car carrying wounded soldiers, to snap a few pictures. A tank runs over them, completely smashing the vehicle; Taro suffers grave injuries, is taken into a hospital and died the day later. Capa was shocked. But the song isn't really about Taro's death (as the name might indicate), but of Capa's. 17 years later.

1954. Capa retired from the war photojournalism business a few years before that, saying never again, but somehow, his editor talked him into taking one last assignment: escorting the French soldiers fighting over land in the Far East, during the first Indochina War. They reach the place, he then steps off a vehicle (a jeep, according to the song) as they prepare for battle, pulling out his camera, and immediately steps on a landmine.

Sources say the explosion was heard on 2:55 PM, and Alt-J's Capa was presumed dead at 3:10: a total of 15 minutes. Yet, Capa is described to have died a slow, painful death, watching life slip away as if from behind a distorting lense: "All colors and cares glaze to gray, shriveled and stricken to dots". His leg was already blown to pieces and 5 yards away from him, and there was a grave wound in his chest on top of that.

They carried him back to the camp, where he was pronounced DOA (the song quotes one of the French soldiers: "le photographe est mort" - 'the photographer is dead'). Historically speaking, we don't know if the song is accurate and his last words were really of Taro, who died in a similar fashion; if he really screamed her name as he bled next to what was once his limb, as the song suggests. We don't know if he even thought of her - it's been over a decade and a half since her demise, and he was involved with a few other women since (One of them was the movie star Ingrid Bergman). We do know, however, that he was 41 and never married, which is a rather unusual choice among Jews of Eastern-European descent in 1954, or 2014 for that matter. We know that they shared a similar fate in life and in death.

***

I don't believe in the concept of afterlife, so I won't subscribe to the poetic idea/plot device that death reunited them again. You can believe whatever you want. It's still a damn good story. Personally, I want to think they didn't die in vain: they made us look at things we rather turn our heads away from - because it's happening elsewhere, in some other far-off land, and it's too gory to even contemplate. "To photo, to record meat lumps and war".

FUN FACT: the cello in the fade-out bit in the end isn't real, it's the standard hipster synth.

If anyone knows how to explain Juniper's class-of-service like I'm 5 year old, or what the hell Fitzpleasure is about, speak up. I can't believe you read all of this, by the way.

Ta"ro (?), n. [From the Polynesian name.] Bot.

A name for several aroid plants (Colocasia antiquorum, var. esculenta, Colocasia macrorhiza, etc.), and their rootstocks. They have large ovate-sagittate leaves and large fleshy rootstocks, which are cooked and used for food in tropical countries.

 

© Webster 1913.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.