The idea “telecasting” in pretty much any game or sport (baseball, futbol, poker, chess—what have you) has probably as its closest synonym the term “representation.” In poker, since a large portion of the game is played without being able to see an opponent’s cards, a player must base their opponent’s hand ranges off of how a player telecasts their strength which could be an endless amount of variables: bet size, bet size in relation to position, the way someone bets, body language (the way someone sits), table history (has the person been playing hand after hand or have they been waiting patiently). In poker, telecasting can frequently lead to reverse psychology scenarios, to double-reverse psychology scenarios, and believe it or not, possibly triple-reverse psychology scenarios. As an example, if someone is on a hot streak at a table, and they are appearing to play every hand—if such person gets dealt a very good hand, it’s likely advantageous for such person to go ahead and continue playing aggressively (maybe even extra aggressively) because it fits their already established table image. In this instance, they would be telecasting “loose” play even though they are actually playing some version of the expected norm.

In baseball, a baserunner might telecast his intention to steal to the pitcher by taking few extra steps in his leadoff stance.  A pitcher might telecast a certain pitch by shaking his head too many times at the catcher. In tennis, possibly the way someone serves provides a clue as to where the ball might be going. In soccer, the most notable development I’ve seen in penalty kicks is the players doing a giant stutter step before they kick the ball—therefore flipping the telecasting in their favor by allowing them to see which way to goalie might be diving. 

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.