The Edwin Smith Papyrus
Case Thirty-Nine
TUMORS OR ULCERS IN THE BREAST PERHAPS RESULTING FROM INJURY

TITLE: Instructions concerning tumors with prominent head in his breast.

EXAMINATION: If thou examinest a man having tumours with prominent head in his breast, (and) thou findest that the swellings have spread with pus over his breast, (and) have produced redness, while it is very hot therein, when thy hand touches him.

DIAGNOSIS: Thou shouldst say concerning him: "One having tumors with prominent head in his breast, (and) they produce cists of pus. An ailment which I will treat with the fire-drill."

TREATMENT: Thou shouldst burn for him over his breast (and) over those tumors which are on his breast. Thou shouldst treat him with wound treatment, Thou shouldst not prevent its opening of itself, that there may be no mnh-w in his wound (sore?). Every wound (sore?) that arises in his breast dries up as soon as it opens of itself.

NOTE A: As for: "Tumor with prominent head in his breast." it means that there are swellings spreading over his breast because of his injury; they produce pus and redness on his breast; (as) it is said: "It is like parti-colored things whose product is pus.

case thirty-eight
index of The Edwin Smith Papyrus
case forty

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.