display | more...
The Supreme Court of New South Wales was established in 1823 under the authority of the Third Charter of Justice, and opened on 17 May 1824 in the Georgian School on Elizabeth Street before relocating to a new building on St. James Road in 1827. The Supreme Court still uses that building, as well as the new Supreme Court building in Queen's Square, Wentworth Chambers on Phillip Street, and Darlinghurst Court House in Taylor Square.

All judges have three sets of robes, as do the District Court judges, comprising full ceremonial robes, robes worn when sitting in the civil jurisdiction, and those worn in the civil jurisdiction. Ceremonial robes are typically worn at church services to commemorate the opening of a new law term, when presiding at an admission ceremony of barristers and solicitors, and when welcoming and saying farewell to judges.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.