Florid is a fancy way of saying "massive combo of second, third, and fourth species plus some eighth notes for fun."

  1. If you're gonna use eighth notes, you have to use them like this:
    • On the first beat, a quarter note which is not only a dissonance but was also prepared in the previous measure by a half note.
    • As an upper neighbor of the quarter note, an eighth note.
    • The dissonance repeated as an eighth note.
    • The resolution of the dissonance to a chord tone as a quarter note.
    • And then, finally, a quarter note which can be any of the acceptable tones by the previously stated standards.


  2. In the measures with eighth notes, dissonance resolution always on the beginning of the second half of the measure.

  3. In this species in two parts and speaking rhythmically, unless the half note is the prep for a dissonance, two quarters followed by a half is a no no.

  4. Likewise, the same rhythmic pattern should never be used in two successive measures. We gave you those eighth notes for a reason, son!

  5. The first measure's harmony must be tonic. When the counterpoint is in the upper part it has to be the tonic. In the lower part it can be the 5th.

  6. Parallel 5ths and octaves must be seperated by a whole measure.

  7. And finally, in the measure before last you can use a rhythmic pattern of quarter, two eighths, quarter, two eighths if you gotta. Ya don't have to but if it helps get you out of a jam don't feel guilty.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.