The United States Dollar is widely accepted as a form of currency in Costa Rica, and most Automated Teller Machines in Costa Rica will dispense dollars for use. Costa Rica is not currently one of the countries in Latin America (Ecuador, El Salvador and Panama) that have officially adopted the dollar as a currency, but because of the large number of tourists from the United States, the dollar is used as a de facto currency in many locations. At least as something to receive: the standard practice seems to take dollars and return the change in Costa Rican Colones, usually with a slight rounding in the merchant's favor.

Having an economy that is tied to dollars can sometimes cause fluctuations in the economy: during the Covid-19 pandemic, the Colon weakened against the dollar, as US Dollars were no longer entering the country at such a rate, and after the post-pandemic tourism boom, the Colon became too strong against the dollar as dollars flooded the country.

The acceptance of the US Dollar as a currency is one of several things that make travelling to Costa Rica an almost transparent experience for people in the United States, such as the wide use of English in Costa Rica, and the use of NEMA power connectors.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.