Vertical mills are used for mass production in grinding of materials and tend to be of simpler design than horizontal mills. Vertical mills offer the advantage of producing steeper particle size distribution than the typical horizontal mill. To determine whether to use a vertical mill or horizontal mill all parameters must be checked incluting throughput rate, and the required viscosity of the end product desired.

Types of vertical mills include the stirred vertical mill a low mainance machine suitable for ultra fine grinding to below 20 micron. The components of the stirred vertical mill inclue the C-Frame, main drive motor, inching motor, gear reducer. grinding chamber and the agitator shaft They range in installed power from 300 kW to 1,100 kW.

Since vertical mills consume less energy than ball mills they are the grinding mill of choice in many cement plants, the drawback however it that vertical mills require more maintenance than ball mills and are more sensitive to all operational variations, so there are pro's and con's to both options. There are specialist available to help determine the suitable choice for an operations specific needs.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.