While the name of William Dozier (1908-1991) may be unfamiliar to many people, his voice is instantly recognizable as the narrator of the incredibly camp 60's Batman TV series. Starring Adam West and Burt Ward, it was Dozier who ended the show with the classic line: 'Tune in tomorrow, same bat time, same bat channel'.

However as well as narrating the series and appearing in a few episodes (Minerva, Mayhem and Millionaires and Hi Diddle Riddle), he was first and foremost the show's executive producer. This was despite the fact that he'd never read a single Batman comic prior to landing the job. It is some credit to his talent that in its first year Batman did (boy) wonders for the ratings of the ailing ABC network and made $75m in toy sales alone.

He went on to produce the classic 1966 Batman film and a number of other TV series. Tapping into the rich vein of TV superhero shows his voice graced episodes of Batgirl and Wonder Woman. Unfortunately a four minute pilot that he wrote for a Wonder Woman sitcom never made it off the ground.

He was briefly married to the actress Joan Fontaine (sister of Olivia de Havilland) between 1946 and 1951. In 1953 he married actress Ann Rutherford (Careen O'Hara, Scarlett's little sister in Gone With The Wind) who he remained with until his death in 1991.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.