Ac*com"pa*ny (#), v. t. [imp. & p. p. Accompanied (#); p. pr. & vb. n. Accompanying (#)] [OF. aacompaignier, F. accompagner, to associate with, fr. OF. compaign, compain, companion. See Company.]

1.

To go with or attend as a companion or associate; to keep company with; to go along with; -- followed by with or by; as, he accompanied his speech with a bow.

The Persian dames, . . . In sumptuous cars, accompanied his march. Glover.

They are never alone that are accompanied with noble thoughts. Sir P. Sidney.

He was accompanied by two carts filled with wounded rebels. Macaulay.

2.

To cohabit with.

[Obs.]

Sir T. Herbert.

Syn. -- To attend; escort; go with. -- To Accompany, Attend, Escort. We accompany those with whom we go as companions. The word imports an equality of station. We attend those whom we wait upon or follow. The word conveys an idea of subordination. We escort those whom we attend with a view to guard and protect. A gentleman accompanies a friend to some public place; he attends or escorts a lady.

 

© Webster 1913.


Ac*com"pa*ny, v. i.

1.

To associate in a company; to keep company.

[Obs.]

Bacon.

Men say that they will drive away one another, . . . and not accompany together. Holland.

2.

To cohabit (with).

[Obs.]

Milton.

3. Mus.

To perform an accompanying part or parts in a composition.

 

© Webster 1913.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.