An argument is, to quote the Monty Python sketch, "a connected series of statements to establish a definite proposition". There are three stages to an argument: Premises, inference, and conclusion.

A function/method takes parameters -- and these parameters just happen to have the synonym "arguments". This often confuses programming newbies to no end.

Ar"gu*ment (#), n. [F. argument, L. argumentum, fr. arguere to argue.]

1.

Proof; evidence.

[Obs.]

There is.. no more palpable and convincing argument of the existence of a Deity. Ray.

Why, then, is it made a badge of wit and an argument of parts for a man to commence atheist, and to cast off all belief of providence, all awe and reverence for religion? South.

2.

A reason or reasons offered in proof, to induce belief, or convince the mind; reasoning expressed in words; as, an argument about, concerning, or regarding a proposition, for or in favor of it, or against it.

3.

A process of reasoning, or a controversy made up of rational proofs; argumentation; discussion; disputation.

The argument is about things, but names. Locke.

4.

The subject matter of a discourse, writing, or artistic representation; theme or topic; also, an abstract or summary, as of the contents of a book, chapter, poem.

You and love are still my argument. Shak.

The abstract or argument of the piece. Jeffrey.

[Shields] with boastful argument portrayed. Milton.

5.

Matter for question; business in hand.

[Obs.]

Sheathed their swords for lack of argument. Shak.

6. Astron.

The quantity on which another quantity in a table depends; as, the altitude is the argument of the refraction.

7. Math.

The independent variable upon whose value that of a function depends.

Brande & C.

<-- p. 81 -->

 

© Webster 1913.


Ar"gu*ment (#), v. i. [L. argumentari.]

To make an argument; to argue.

[Obs.]

Gower.

 

© Webster 1913.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.