Being is not non-being. See the principle of non-contradiction. Being does not necessarily mean existence. For example, the unicorn and the pegasus, which do not exist, are often called mythical beings.

Be"ing (?), p. pr. from Be.

Existing.

Being was formerly used where we now use having. "Being to go to a ball in a few days." Miss Edgeworth.

⇒ In modern usage, is, are, was or were being, with a past participle following (as built, made, etc.) indicates the process toward the completed result expressed by the participle. The form is or was building, in this passive signification, is idiomatic, and, if free from ambiguity, is commonly preferable to the modern is or was being built. The last form of speech is, however, sufficiently authorized by approved writers. The older expression was is, or was, a-building or in building.

A man who is being strangled. Lamb.

While the article on Burns was being written. Froude.

Fresh experience is always being gained. Jowett (Thucyd. )

 

© Webster 1913.


Be"ing, n.

1.

Existence, as opposed to nonexistence; state or sphere of existence.

In Him we live, and move, and have our being. Acts xvii. 28.

2.

That which exists in any form, whether it be material or spiritual, actual or ideal; living existence, as distinguished from a thing without life; as, a human being; spiritual beings.

What a sweet being is an honest mind ! Beau. & Fl.

A Being of infinite benevolence and power. Wordsworth.

3.

Lifetime; mortal existence.

[Obs.]

Claudius, thou Wast follower of his fortunes in his being. Webster (1654).

4.

An abode; a cottage.

[Prov. Eng.]

Wright.

It was a relief to dismiss them [Sir Roger's servants] into little beings within my manor. Steele.

 

© Webster 1913.


Be"ing, adv.

Since; inasmuch as.

[Obs. or Colloq.]

And being you have Declined his means, you have increased his malice. Beau. & Fl.

 

© Webster 1913.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.