Bone bruise is not an 'official' medical term. (Doctors prefer fancy Latin terms like edema.) It refers, as you might expect, to pain or soreness that seems to come from a deep injury on or near the bone. It is often accompanied by a sensation of contusion or swelling, often on an area like an elbow, shin or pelvic bone. It sometimes follows a 'compressive injury' (a.k.a. 'a good solid whack') but other times no specific incident seems to cause it.

A bone bruise may reflect an actual injury to the periosteum, which will calcify and heal over time. It may also reflect any number of other causes. Unlike a surface bruise it is very difficult to see and identify the problem, in the absence of a fracture or other problem which an x-ray or ultrasound will reveal.

Nothing on Everything2 should be considered medical advice. (I'd be damn careful about following any advice I received here, actually.) Consult with your own medical doctor before making any decisions about your health. See also Everything2 medical disclaimer.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.