Breeze (?), Breeze" fly` (), n. [OE. brese, AS. briosa; perh. akin to OHG. brimissa, G. breme, bremse, D. brems, which are akin to G. brummen to growl, buzz, grumble, L. fremere to murmur; cf. G. brausen, Sw. brusa, Dan. bruse, to roar, rush.] Zool.

A fly of various species, of the family Tabanidae, noted for buzzing about animals, and tormenting them by sucking their blood; -- called also horsefly, and gadfly. They are among the largest of two-winged or dipterous insects. The name is also given to different species of botflies.

[Written also breese and brize.]

 

© Webster 1913.


Breeze, n. [F. brise; akin to It. brezza breeze, Sp. briza, brisa, a breeze from northeast, Pg. briza northeast wind; of uncertain origin; cf. F. bise, Pr. bisa, OHG. bisa, north wind, Arm. biz northeast wind.]

1.

A light, gentle wind; a fresh, soft-blowing wind.

Into a gradual calm the breezes sink. Wordsworth.

2.

An excited or ruffed state of feeling; a flurry of excitement; a disturbance; a quarrel; as, the discovery produced a breeze.

[Colloq.]

Land breeze, a wind blowing from the land, generally at night. -- Sea breeze, a breeze or wind blowing, generally in the daytime, from the sea.

 

© Webster 1913.


Breeze (?), n. [F. braise cinders, live coals. See Brasier.]

1.

Refuse left in the process of making coke or burning charcoal.

2. Brickmaking

Refuse coal, coal ashes, and cinders, used in the burning of bricks.

 

© Webster 1913.


Breeze, v. i.

To blow gently.

[R.]

J. Barlow.

To breeze up Naut., to blow with increasing freshness.

 

© Webster 1913.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.