Cir`cum*stan"tial (?), a. [Cf. F. circonstanciel.]

1.

Consisting in, or pertaining to, circumstances or particular incidents.

The usual character of human testimony is substantial truth under circumstantial variety.
Paley.

2.

Incidental; relating to, but not essential.

We must therefore distinguish between the essentials in religious worship . . . and what is merely circumstantial.
Sharp.

3.

Abounding with circumstances; detailing or exhibiting all the circumstances; minute; particular.

Tedious and circumstantial recitals.
Prior.

Circumstantial evidence Law, evidence obtained from circumstances, which necessarily or usually attend facts of a particular nature, from which arises presumption. According to some authorities circumstantial is distinguished from positive evidence in that the latter is the testimony of eyewitnesses to a fact or the admission of a party; but the prevalent opinion now is that all such testimony is dependent on circumstances for its support. All testimony is more or less circumstantial. Wharton.

Syn. -- See Minute.

 

© Webster 1913.


Cir`cum*stan"tial, n.

Something incidental to the main subject, but of less importance; opposed to an essential; -- generally in the plural; as, the circumstantials of religion.

Addison.

 

© Webster 1913.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.