Clack (?), v. i. [imp. & p. p. Clacked (?);p. pr. & vb. n. Clacking.] [Prob. of imitative origin; cf. F.claquer to clap, crack, D. klakken, MHG. klac crack, Ir. clagaim I make a noise, ring. Cf. Clack, n., Clatter, Click.]

1.

To make a sudden, sharp noise, or a succesion of such noises, as by striking an object, or by collision of parts; to rattle; to click.

We heard Mr.Hodson's whip clacking on the ahoulders of the poor little wretches. Thackeray.

<-- p. 261 -->

2.

To utter words rapidly and continually, or with abruptness; to let the tongue run.

 

© Webster 1913.


Clack (?), v. t.

1.

To cause to make a sudden, sharp noise, or succession of noises; to click.

2.

To utter rapidly and inconsiderately.

Feltham.

To clack wool, to cut off the sheep's mark, in order to make the wool weigh less and thus yield less duty. [Eng.]

 

© Webster 1913.


Clack, n. [Cf. F. claque a slap or smack, MHG. klac crack, W. clec crack, gossip. See Clack, v. t.]

1.

A sharp, abrupt noise, or succession of noises, made by striking an object.

2.

Anything that causes a clacking noise, as the clapper of a mill, or a clack valve.

3.

Continual or importunate talk; prattle; prating.

Whose chief intent is to vaunt his spiritual clack. South.

Clack box Mach., the box or chamber in which a clack valve works. -- Clack dish, a dish with a movable lid, formerly carried by beggars, who clacked the lid to attract notice.

Shak.

Clack door Mining, removable cover of the opening through which access is had to a pump valve. -- Clack valve Mach., a valve; esp. one hinged at one edge, which, when raised from its seat, falls with a clacking sound.

 

© Webster 1913.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.