Its a wonder that large corporate structures are idealized in the world today. As if anything in the private sector must be good, and anything in the public sector must be bad.

The problem most apparant today, is the gargantuan nature of most institutions, both public and private. Some are well-run and serve rational or desirable purposes, some do not.

But to dismiss out of hand any public enterprise, or anything done in public service, and to worship any private enterprise, or profit-making entity, blindly, is simply to fly in the face of the very reason, and pragmatism so often appealed to by defenders of the private sector--who so often are critics of the public sector.

Cor"po*rate (k?r"p?-r?t), a. [L. corporatus, p. p. of corporare to shape into a body, fr. corpus body. See Corpse.]

1.

Formed into a body by legal enactment; united in an association, and endowed by law with the rights and liabilities of an individual; incorporated; as, a corporate town.

2.

Belonging to a corporation or incorporated body.

"Corporate property."

Hallam.

3.

United; general; collectively one.

They answer in a joint and corporate voice. Shak.

Corporate member, an actual or voting member of a corporation, as distinguished from an associate or an honorary member; as, a corporate member of the American Board.

 

© Webster 1913.


Cor"po*rate (-r?t), v. t.

To incorporate.

[Obs.]

Stow.

 

© Webster 1913.


Cor"po*rate, v. i.

To become incorporated.

[Obs.]

 

© Webster 1913.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.