"To be criticised is not always to be wrong."
-- Anthony Eden

"Any fool can criticise and most fools do."
-- Patrick Barlow (though it may have a prior origin)

"Answer not a fool according to his folly, lest thou also be like unto him."
-- Proverbs

"A fool can always find a greater fool to admire him."
-- Niolas Boilean

"A man of genius makes no mistakes. His errors are volitional and are the portals of discovery."
-- James Joyce

"He who discommendeth others obliquely commendeth himself."
-- Thomas Browne

"I review novels to make money, because it is easier for a sluggard to write an article a fortnight than a book a year, because the writer is soothed by the opiate of action, the crank by posing as a good journalist, and having an air hole. I dislike it. I do it and I am always resolving to give it up."

Cyril Connolly
Critic and Curmudgeon

Crit"i*cism (kr?t"?-s?z'm), n.

1.

The rules and principles which regulate the practice of the critic; the art of judging with knowledge and propriety of the beauties and faults of a literary performance, or of a production in the fine arts; as, dramatic criticism.

The elements ofcriticism depend on the two principles of Beauty and Truth, one of which is the final end or object of study in every one of its pursuits: Beauty, in letters and the arts; Truth, in history and sciences. Brande & C.

By criticism, as it was first instituted by Aristotle, was meant a standard of judging well. Dryden.

2.

The act of criticising; a critical judgment passed or expressed; a critical observation or detailed examination and review; a critique; animadversion; censure.

About the plan of "Rasselas" little was said by the critics; and yet the faults of the plan might seem to invite severe criticism. Macaulay.

 

© Webster 1913.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.