Glance (?), n. [Akin to D. glans luster, brightness, G. glanz, Sw. glans, D. glands brightness, glimpse. Cf. Gleen, Glint, Glitter, and Glance a mineral.]

1.

A sudden flash of light or splendor.

Swift as the lightning glance. Milton.

2.

A quick cast of the eyes; a quick or a casual look; a swift survey; a glimpse.

Dart not scornful glances from those eyes. Shak.

3.

An incidental or passing thought or allusion.

How fleet is a glance of the mind. Cowper.

4. Min.

A name given to some sulphides, mostly dark-colored, which have a brilliant metallic luster, as the sulphide of copper, called copper glance.

Glance coal, anthracite; a mineral composed chiefly of carbon. -- Glance cobalt, cobaltite, or gray cobalt. -- Glance copper, calcocite. -- Glance wood, a hard wood grown in Cuba, and used for gauging instruments, carpenters' rules, etc. McElrath.

 

© Webster 1913.


Glance, v. i. [imp. & p. p. Glanced (?); p. pr. & vb. n. Glancing (?).]

1.

To shoot or emit a flash of light; to shine; to flash.

From art, from nature, from the schools, Let random influences glance, Like light in many a shivered lance, That breaks about the dappled pools. Tennyson.

2.

To strike and fly off in an oblique direction; to dart aside. "Your arrow hath glanced".

Shak.

On me the curse aslope Glanced on the ground. Milton.

3.

To look with a sudden, rapid cast of the eye; to snatch a momentary or hasty view.

The poet's eye, in a fine frenzy rolling, Doth glance from heaven to earth, from earth to heaven. Shak.

4.

To make an incidental or passing reflection; to allude; to hint; -- often with at.

Wherein obscurely Caesar"s ambition shall be glanced at. Shak.

He glanced at a certain reverend doctor. Swift.

5.

To move quickly, appearing and disappearing rapidly; to be visible only for an instant at a time; to move interruptedly; to twinkle.

And all along the forum and up the sacred seat, His vulture eye pursued the trip of those small glancing feet. Macaulay.

 

© Webster 1913.


Glance (?), v. t.

1.

To shoot or dart suddenly or obliquely; to cast for a moment; as, to glance the eye.

2.

To hint at; to touch lightly or briefly.

[Obs.]

In company I often glanced it. Shak.

 

© Webster 1913.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.