Salivating yet? No? Why not? Read on.

HODGE PODGE

Also, any manner of seasonal game, or combination thereof, may be made thus so:

  1. Boil some slices of coarse beef in three quarts of water, and one of small beer. Skim it well, put in onions, carrots, turnips, celery, pepper and salt. When the meat is tender, take it out, strain off the soup, put a little butter and flour into the saucepan, and stir it well, to prevent burning. Take off the fat, put the soup into a stewpan, and stew the beef in it till it is quite tender. Serve up the soup with turnips and carrots, spinage, or celery.

  2. A leg of beef cut in pieces, and stewed five or six hours, will make good soup; and any kind of roots or spices may be added or omitted at pleasure.

  3. Stew some peas, lettuce, and onions, in a very little water, with a bone of beef or ham. While these are doing, season some mutton or lamb steaks, and fry them of a nice brown. Three quarters of an hour before serving, put the steaks into a stewpan, and the vegetables over them. Stew them, and serve all together in a tureen.

  4. Put a pint of peas into a quart of water; boil them until they are so tender as easily to be pulped through a sieve. Take of the leanest end of a loin of mutton three pounds, cut it into chops, put it into a saucepan with a gallon of water, four carrots, four turnips, cut in small pieces; season with pepper and salt. Boil until all the vegetables are quite tender; put in the pulped peas a head of celery and a sliced onion. Boil fifteen minutes, and serve.

  5. Another way of making a good hodge podge, is to stew a knuckle of veal and a scrag of mutton, with some vegetables, adding a bit of butter rolled in flour.

Lagniappe: Leg of Mutton - If roasted, serve it up with onion gravy or Cumberland sauce.
If boiled, with caper sauce and vegetables.


See also: Hotchpot - Hotchpotch - Hodgepodge - Hutspot
Don't see also: Hodge/Podge Transformer although, as you know & truth be told, a warm bowl of hodge podge could very well power a bio-logical conversion unit powering such a transformer.


Alternate reference: Stew Recipes


Sources (excerpted from):
The Cook and Housekeeper's Complete and Universal Dictionary
by Mrs. Mary Eaton 1823
Jennie June's American Cookery Book
by J. C. Croly (Jane Cunningham) 1878


iron noder

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.