Horned (?), a.

Furnished with a horn or horns; furnished with a hornlike process or appendage; as, horned cattle; having some part shaped like a horn.

The horned moon with one bright star Within the nether tip. Coleridge.

Horned bee Zool., a British wild bee (Osmia bicornis), having two little horns on the head. -- Horned dace Zool., an American cyprinoid fish (Semotilus corporialis) common in brooks and ponds; the common chub. See Illust. of Chub. -- Horned frog Zool., a very large Brazilian frog (Ceratophrys cornuta), having a pair of triangular horns arising from the eyelids. -- Horned grebe Zool., a species of grebe (Colymbus auritus), of Arctic Europe and America, having two dense tufts of feathers on the head. -- Horned horse Zool., the gnu. -- Horned lark Zool., the shore lark. -- Horned lizard Zool., the horned toad. -- Horned owl Zool., a large North American owl (Bubo Virginianus), having a pair of elongated tufts of feathers on the head. Several distinct varieties are known; as, the Arctic, Western, dusky, and striped horned owls, differing in color, and inhabiting different regions; -- called also great horned owl, horn owl, eagle owl, and cat owl. Sometimes also applied to the long-eared owl. See Eared owl, under Eared. -- Horned poppy. Bot. See Horn poppy, under Horn. -- Horned pout Zool., an American fresh-water siluroid fish; the bullpout. -- Horned rattler Zool., a species of rattlesnake (Crotalus cerastes), inhabiting the dry, sandy plains, from California to Mexico. It has a pair of triangular horns between the eyes; -- called also sidewinder. -- Horned ray Zool., the sea devil. -- Horned screamer Zool., the kamichi. -- Horned snake Zool., the cerastes. -- Horned toad Zool., any lizard of the genus Phrynosoma, of which nine or ten species are known. These lizards have several hornlike spines on the head, and a broad, flat body, covered with spiny scales. They inhabit the dry, sandy plains from California to Mexico and Texas. Called also horned lizard. -- Horned viper. Zool. See Cerastes.

 

© Webster 1913.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.