In phonetics, an ingressive sound is one where air flows inward. They do not occur in any of the familiar European or Asian languages, under normal conditions. In the unusual environment of singing, I have heard examples. One is when Martha Davis of The Motels sings "Total Control": in the line "I'd sell my soul for total control...", the two S's have a peculiar resonance which is, as far as I can tell, the result of her breathing in as she sings them. No doubt part of the vowel is also ingressive, but by the nature of a vowel, it is hard to notice the difference.

Reversing the normal process of breathing by sucking air into the lungs is almost impossible to sustain in speech*. The Martha Davis S is one example, if I am right about it. Languages that use ingressives use one of two other mechanisms to briefly interrupt the air flow and cause a pressure change: blocking the mouth either at the soft palate (the velaric sounds or clicks), or at the glottis (the implosives). See those for more detail, and the opposite term egressive.

* Since writing this I've got a book on phonetics which cites pulmonic ingressives in one single person's idiolect of a an Austronesian language in Taiwan!

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.