Ir"ri*tate (?), v. t. [See 1 st Irritant.]

To render null and void.

[R.]

Abp. Bramhall.

 

© Webster 1913.


Ir"ri*tate, v. t. [imp. & p. p. Irritated (?); p. pr. & vb. n. Irritating (?).] [L. irritatus, p. p. of irritare. Of doubtful origin.]

1.

To increase the action or violence of; to heighten excitement in; to intensify; to stimulate.

Cold maketh the spirits vigorous and irritateth them. Bacon.

2.

To excite anger or displeasure in; to provoke; to tease; to exasperate; to annoy; to vex; as, the insolence of a tyrant irritates his subjects.

Dismiss the man, nor irritate the god: Prevent the rage of him who reigns above. Pope.

3. Physiol.

To produce irritation in; to stimulate; to cause to contract. See Irritation, n., 2.

4. Med.

To make morbidly excitable, or oversensitive; to fret; as, the skin is irritated by friction; to irritate a wound by a coarse bandage.

Syn. -- To fret; inflame; excite; provoke; tease; vex; exasperate; anger; incense; enrage. -- To Irritate, Provoke, Exasperate. These words express different stages of excited or angry feeling. Irritate denotes an excitement of quick and slightly angry feeling which is only momentary; as, irritated by a hasty remark. To provoke implies the awakening of some open expression of decided anger; as, a provoking insult. Exasperate denotes a provoking of anger at something unendurable. Whatever comes across our feelings irritates; whatever excites anger provokes; whatever raises anger to a high point exasperates. "Susceptible and nervous people are most easily irritated; proud people are quickly provoked; hot and fiery people are soonest exasperated." Crabb.

 

© Webster 1913.


Ir"ri*tate (?), a.

Excited; heightened.

[Obs.]

 

© Webster 1913.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.