Decorative plantings that make a home or business look less like a box and more like part of its surroundings.

Landscaping typically includes sod for a lawn, trees for shade, hedges for privacy and as a natural fence, and flowering plants for color. Garden gnomes and plastic pink flamingos are optional.

Improving the landscaping of a home before you sell it will often improve the selling price by more than you paid for the landscaping, sometimes by a few thousand dollars more.

Landscaping can be done as a do-it-yourself project, if you keep in mind which plants like full sun and which like indirect lighting, which need to be watered frequently and which are suitable for xeriscaping, which trees will stain your driveway, etc. You might also want to consult a landscape architect.

Patio Stones make durable, attractive, and low maintanance walkways and flooring for garden projects and play areas.

Materials

  • 12x12 or preferable size patio stones
  • 1 bag Construction Sand per 7 sq. Feet
  • 1 bag White/Play sand
  • Gardening shovel
  • Sturdy Rake/Hoe

Prepare the area by removing all grass and loosening the soil. For walkways, the ground should be removed to the thickness of the stones to bring them level to the surface. In enclosed areas, this step can be skipped. Next, mix the construction sand into the soil, being sure to reach all areas and level the surface. The blocks you chose can now be placed into the work area. (Note: If the area is enclosed, the blocks may not fit tightly end to end. This is okay, because if a margin is left at all sides, it can be filled with rocks of an accenting color to give the job a finished appearance.) A margin of 1/2 to 3/4 of an inch is recommended between each stone. Once the stones are placed, each should be tested. If there is any wobble or movement when it is stepped upon, it must be lifted and the ground leveled beneath it to prevent cracking.

Once the stones are level, the finishing touches must be installed. If you've built a walkway, fill in any excess area on the sides of the stones. The cracks between are now filled with the Play Sand using the garden shovel. If you've left a margin in an enclosed area, or have opted to do so around your walkway, they should be filled in with rocks of a color that will accent your stones. Red stone Beddings, for example, may use Brick Chips or similar rocks to accent.

Around once a year, you may need/want to put a bit more play sand on top of the old, either to fill a deficit, or refresh its appearance.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.