Slang used to describe an amount of money in the thousands.
Example: "Mike's new car cost him 50 Large."
Meaning it cost him 50 thousand dollars.

See also G, Grand, G-note

Large is a wonderful, though sadly fictitious, beverage that exists only in the books of Robert Rankin and the minds of those who have read them. It is a beer of some sort, and is presumeably a bitter, judging by certain giveaway details dropped in the course of relating the history of Brentford. Its dark amber hue, its creamy head but low inherent bubble content and its dark, rich, fulsome flavour all conspire to suggest that it might not be a lager, that most watered down of the drinks of man.

It is proven to be but a pale rememberance of how beer once was, however, when Norman puts some through his de-entropiser to create 'beer like it used to be'. The only problem with this beer is that it is highly unstable and explodesonce it reaches an age of about a week.

Large (?), a. [Compar. Larger (?); superl. Largest.] [F., fr. L. largus. Cf. Largo.]

1.

Exceeding most other things of like in bulk, capacity, quantity, superficial dimensions, or number of constituent units; big; great; capacious; extensive; -- opposed to small; as, a nlarge horse; a large house or room; a large lake or pool; a large jug or spoon; a large vineyard; a large army; a large city.

⇒ For linear dimensions, and mere extent, great, and not large, is used as a qualifying word; as, great length, breadth, depth; a great distance; a great height.

2.

Abundant; ample; as, a large supply of provisions.

We hare yet large day. Milton.

3.

Full in statement; diffuse; full; profuse.

I might be very large upon the importance and advantages of education. Felton.

4.

Having more than usual power or capacity; having broad sympathies and generous impulses; comprehensive; -- said of the mind and heart.

5.

Free; unembarrassed.

[Obs.]

Of burdens all he set the Paynims large. Fairfax.

6.

Unrestrained by decorum; -- said of language.

[Obs.] "Some large jests he will make."

Shak.

7.

Prodigal in expending; lavish.

[Obs.]

Chaucer.

8. Naut.

Crossing the line of a ship's course in a favorable direction; -- said of the wind when it is abeam, or between the beam and the quarter.

At large. (a) Without restraint or confinement; as, to go at large; to be left at large. (b) Diffusely; fully; in the full extent; as, to discourse on a subject at large. -- Common at large. See under Common, n. -- Electors at large, Representative at large, electors, or a representative, as in Congress, chosen to represent the whole of a State, in distinction from those chosen to represent particular districts in a State. [U. S.] -- To give, go, run, ∨ sail large Naut., to have the wind crossing the direction of a vessel's course in such a way that the sails feel its full force, and the vessel gains its highest speed. See Large, a., 8.

Syn. -- Big; bulky; huge; capacious; comprehensive; ample; abundant; plentiful; populous; copious; diffusive; liberal.

 

© Webster 1913.


Large, adv.

Freely; licentiously.

[Obs.]

Chaucer.

 

© Webster 1913.


Large, n. Mus.

A musical note, formerly in use, equal to two longs, four breves, or eight semibreves.

 

© Webster 1913.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.