Lim`i*ta"tion (?), n. [L. limitatio: cf. F. Limitation. See Limit, v. t.]

1.

The act of limiting; the state or condition of being limited; as, the limitation of his authority was approved by the council.

They had no right to mistake the limitation . . . of their own faculties, for an inherent limitation of the possible modes of existence in the universe. J. S. Mill.

2.

That which limits; a restriction; a qualification; a restraining condition, defining circumstance, or qualifying conception; as, limitations of thought.

The cause of error is ignorance what restraints and limitations all principles have in regard of the matter whereunto they are applicable. Hooker.

3.

A certain precinct within which friars were allowed to beg, or exercise their functions; also, the time during which they were permitted to exercise their functions in such a district.

Chaucer. Latimer.

4.

A limited time within or during which something is to be done.

You have stood your limitation, and the tribunes Endue you with the people's voice. Shak.

5. Law (a)

A certain period limited by statute after which the claimant shall not enforce his claims by suit.

(b)

A settling of an estate or property by specific rules.

(c)

A restriction of power; as, a constitutional limitation.

Wharton. Bouvier.

To know one's own limitations, to know the reach and limits of one's abilities.

A. R. Wallace.

 

© Webster 1913.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.