Achillea millefolium

Also known as noble yarrow, nosebleed, sanguinary, soldier's woundwort, thousandleaf and yarrow. Milfoil is a perennial plant found world-wide in waste areas, fields, pastures and along railway embankments and roadsides. It has light brown, creeping roots and a round, smooth stem. The branches near the top of the stem produce alternate leaves which are divided into many small segments. The leaflets are sharply cleft. The plant flowers from June to November with white and yellow flowers.

Milfoil has antispasmodic, astringent, carminative, cholagogue, diaphoretic, hemostatic and tonic properties. The tea has long been used to stimulate the appetite and to treat stomach cramps, flatulence, gastritis, enteritis, gallbladder and liver problems. It is effective in stimulating the flow of bile, and can help with internal hemorrhaging, particularly in the lungs. Fresh milfoil juice is used for various forms of internal bleeding such as nosebleed, coughing or spitting blood, rectal or hemorrhoidal bleeding, bloody urine, and excessive menstrual flow. A decoction of the herb makes an excellent wash for wounds and sores, and for dry or chapped hands. Extended use of this herb may make the skin sensitive to light.

Mil"foil (?), n. [F. mille-feuille, L. millefolium; mille thousand + folium leaf. See Foil a leaf.] Bot.

A common composite herb (Achillea Millefolium) with white flowers and finely dissected leaves; yarrow.

Water milfoil Bot., an aquatic herb with dissected leaves (Myriophyllum).

 

© Webster 1913.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.