Also an abbreviation for the Master of Public Health degree. People in an MPH program learn about topics such as nutrition, epidemiology, health education, occupational health, and so on.

MPH programs usually require a year or two of study, depending in part on whether students go full-time or part-time. Some people enter MPH programs straight out of college; others earn an MPH while they're in medical school or law school; still others are practicing doctors or nurses who have returned to school to broaden their understanding of public health issues.

Graduates of MPH programs can work in a variety of fields; people with an MPH alone frequently work as nutritionists, administrators, or policymakers; people with a doctoral degree often work as scientists, doctors, nurses, or lawyers with a special focus on public health.

An abbreviation for miles per hour, the primary means of measuring speed of land vehicles under the old English (Imperial) system of measurement. Still used occasionally in Canada and the United Kingdom, although the official system outside the U.S. remains the metric system. Some handy conversion factors: 1 MPH = 2.16 m/s = 1.61 km/hr.1

Most places in the U.S. have a speed limit on highways of 55 or 65 MPH, equivalent to around 100 km/hr. Near the Canadian border, signs give the speed limit in both systems. Most cars sold in the U.S., regardless of their country of origin, have markings for both MPH and km/hr on their speedometers.

Can be written in all capital letters or all lowercase letters (mph).


1 Thanks to pi for the conversion to m/s.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.