No"tice (?), n. [F., fr. L. notitia a being known, knowledge, fr. noscere, notum, to know. See Know.]

1.

The act of noting, remarking, or observing; observation by the senses or intellect; cognizance; note.

How ready is envy to mingle with the notices we take of other persons ! I. Watts.

2.

Intelligence, by whatever means communicated; knowledge given or received; means of knowledge; express notification; announcement; warning.

I . . . have given him notice that the Duke of Cornwall and Regan his duchess will be here. Shak.

3.

An announcement, often accompanied by comments or remarks; as, book notices; theatrical notices.

4.

A writing communicating information or warning.

5.

Attention; respectful treatment; civility.

To take notice of, to perceive especially; to observe or treat with particular attention.

Syn. -- Attention; regard; remark; note; heed; consideration; respect; civility; intelligence; advice; news.

 

© Webster 1913.


No"tice, v. t. [imp. & p. p. Noticed (?); p. pr. & vb. n. Noticing (?).]

1.

To observe; to see to mark; to take note of; to heed; to pay attention to.

2.

To show that one has observed; to take public note of; remark upon; to make comments on; to refer to; as, to notice a book.

This plant deserves to be noticed in this place. Tooke.

Another circumstance was noticed in connection with the suggestion last discussed. Sir W. Hamilton.

3.

To treat with attention and civility; as, to notice strangers.

Syn. -- To remark; observe; perceive; see; mark; note; mind; regard; heed; mention. See Remark.

 

© Webster 1913.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.