In (X)Emacs, this is the area between mark and point. Very many commands operate on the region.

A nice way to check the region is to exchange-point-and-mark (bound to "C-x C-x"). This takes you to the other end of the region, for obvious reasons. To go back, you just exchange-point-and-mark again!

If you use zmacs-regions in XEmacs, you the region painted in some face. And all the commands that work on regions won't work if the region isn't "active". This is meant to help beginning users, but I find it distracting and intensely annoying. Turn that damned thing OFF!!!!1!

Re"gion (r?"j?n), n. [F. r'egion, from L. regio a direction, a boundary line, region, fr. regere to guide, direct. See Regimen.]

1.

One of the grand districts or quarters into which any space or surface, as of the earth or the heavens, is conceived of as divided; hence, in general, a portion of space or territory of indefinite extent; country; province; district; tract.

If thence he 'scappe, into whatever world, Or unknown region. Milton.

2.

Tract, part, or space, lying about and including anything; neighborhood; vicinity; sphere.

"Though the fork invade the region of my heart."

Shak.

Philip, tetrarch of .. the region of Trachonitis. Luke iii. 1.

3.

The upper air; the sky; the heavens.

[Obs.]

Anon the dreadful thunder Doth rend the region. Shak.

4.

The inhabitants of a district.

Matt. iii. 5.

5.

Place; rank; station.

[Obs. or R.]

He is of too high a region. Shak.

 

© Webster 1913.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.