A part-time cover-playing band named the Run Rig Dance Band (Run Rig refers to ridges left by a plough, which gave their name to an old form of communal farming) was formed by brothers Rory (Vocals/bass) and Calum (vocals/drums) MacDonald and accordianist Blair Douglas. In 1974 they were joined by vocalist and guitarist Donnie Munro and Robert MacDonald (no relation) replaced Blair.

After they toured more widely, including successful forays south of Hadrian's Wall, 1977's folky Play Gaelic- released on Scottish label Lismor- comprised original material, sung largely in Gaelic. The band founded its own label, Ridge Records, for the more Rock-based Highland Connection (1979) as the band became full-time professionals and guitar/pipist Malcolm Jones replaced Robert MacDonald (who died in 1986). Their album Recovery (1981), with drummer Iain Bayne, was a concept album about the social history of the Scottish Gael, clearly indicating the band's roots and political inclination.

Despite their abortive liason with a London record company, Heartland (1985) appeared with the addition of English keyboard played Richard Cherns. When he left to persue a career in the theatre, another Scot, Peter Wishart, formerly of Big Country, stepped in.

A relative stability followed with musicianship maturing and audiences growing. After the album The Cutter And The Clan (1987), they signed to a major label, Chrysalis, who immediately re-released the album and issued subsequent work, including An Uhbal As Airde (1995), the first Gaelic single to make the UK Top 20.

In 1997, despite the continuing success of the band, Munro announced his intention to leave and stand as a Labour candidate in the UK General Election in his home constituency. He came respectably second, failing to become Rock's first Member of Parliament. The winter 1997 tour was Munro's formal farewell, although he stated his intention to return for one-off concerts on special occasions.

Discography: Albums:
Albums:

1978:
Play Gaelic

1979:
The highland connection

1981:
Recovery

1985:
Heartland

1987:
The cutter and the clan

1988:
Once in a lifetime - Live

1989:
Searchlight

1991:
The big wheel,

1992:
Alba - the best of Runrig

1993:
Amazing things,

1994:
Transmitting - Live

1995:
Mara

1996:
Long distance, the best of Runrig

1998:
Beat the Drum

1999:
The gaelic collection 1973-1998:

The collection

In search of angels

Scotland's Pride - Runrig's Best

BBC Archives / Long Distance

Celtic Glory
2000:
Scotland's glory - Runrig's ballads

Live at Celtic Connections

Cutter and clan / Big wheel / Amazing things

Demos

2001:
The stamping ground

Access all areas



Singles:
1982:
Loch Lomond


1984:
Dance called America
Skye

1986:
The work song

1987:
Worker for the wind/Alba

1988:
Protect and survive

1989:
News from heaven
Every river

1990:
Capture the heart

1991:
Hearthammer
Flower of the west

1993:
Wonderful
The greatest flame
The greatest flame (re-release)
Song of the earth

1994:
Stepping down the glory road (Capture the heart)
This time of year

1995:
An ubhal as airde (The highest apple)
Things that are

1996:
Rhythm of my heart
The greatest flame 1996

1999:
Big sky
The message
Maymorning
This is not a love song

2001:
Wall of China
Book of golden stories

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.