display | more...
A set of parallel or reticulate ridges, usually less than 1 millimetre high and spaced at a few millimetres on cohesive muddy sediment surfaces.

These marks form in intertidal environments when strong wind stress affects the surface of the sediment when covered by a very thin film of water, or by the action of subaqueous currents or sediment loading.

In other words, runzelmarken is the geological term for those peculiar wavy patterns you sometimes see on beach sand or in shallow mudflats.

Runzelmarken is also known as wrinkle marks, which unfortunatly doesn't sound anywhere near as exciting or scientific.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.